Auslan Bible Project
“And in that day shall the deaf hear the words of the book…” Isaiah 29:18 (KJV)
Bible Society Australia is translating the Bible for Australia’s Deaf community. Through our work, a DVD containing substantial selections from the Bible in Auslan (Australian Sign Language) is available for the 10,000 people across Australia who use the language.
The DVD currently contains selected readings from the Books of Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy, the Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, and stories from the Book of Acts.
Bible Society’s Auslan Bible Project seeks to produce an Auslan Bible resource DVD that will include:
- Translation of other familiar Bible narratives not currently included in the existing DVD like the story of Noah, and David and Goliath.
- Translation of well-known Bible readings (eg. Psalm 23 and John 3:16) and the Lord’s Prayer
- Translation of popular hymns and Christmas carols,
- The development of an explanation and standard way of signing church terminology (eg. baptism, communion, blessing),
- A guide on how to reference the Bible, including correct fingerspelling for all books of the Bible.
- Resources for specific church occasions: suggested Bible readings for weddings and funerals, with recommended prayers, marriage vows, committal prayers.
We believe it’s important for all people to be able to hear, read or see the Bible in their native language.
Your generosity enables Bible Society to produce quality DVDs with Auslan sign language translations, the native language for the Australian Deaf community.
You can partner with Bible Society in supporting the Auslan Bible Project by donating today.